Information for applicants
Nuffield Research Placements is a UK-wide scheme giving students a chance to work alongside professional scientists, technologists, engineers and mathematicians for 4 - 6 weeks over the summer holidays.
If you are interested in finding out more about a career in science, technology, engineering or maths (STEM), and you meet the criteria below, continue on to How to Apply.
- In your first year of post-16 studies (Year 12 or equivalent)?
- Studying one or more A-levels (or equivalent) in maths or science?
- Studying at a UK school or college?
- Have 5 GCSEs including Maths, English and a science at grade B or above?
- Have an interest in studying science, technology, engineering or maths at university?
- Want to find out more about careers in STEM?
We make sure no-one is excluded on a financial basis by covering travel costs for all students. We also offer weekly bursaries to students who meet one of the following criteria:
- Are eligible for, or in receipt of, Free School Meals, or have been in the last six years
- Are receiving discretionary payments at school or college*
- Have a total household income below £30,000
- Are living in, or have lived in, local authority care
* Please note this does not apply to academic scholarships at independent schools
You can apply for a Full Bursary at the same time as you apply for the scheme - we just need a short declaration from your parents.
Students from all schools and colleges in the UK are eligible to apply to the scheme. However, we are particularly keen to encourage students with no family history of Higher Education, or who have not had the opportunity to participate in an enrichment activity of this nature before, to apply. A small number of places on the scheme are awarded to independent students each year. If you are from an independent school and are accepted onto the scheme, you will need to source your own project. Please note that this should be within the region where you live, as otherwise we are not able to cover travel costs.
STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. We offer placements in all these areas.
Have a look at our case studies to find out what types of project are available
Find out about British Science Association CREST awards
Also on the web
What next after your Nuffield Research Placement? Check out the Science Council's Future Morph website for information about careers in science and maths.