The techniques below are useful in a range of experiments.
Here we shall provide instructions on how to carry out standard techniques used in a variety of different experiments.
We shall be generating these pages as we produce experiments which rely on standard techniques. As a start, here are ...
- Gas cylinders
- Generating, collecting, and testing gases
- Handling and moving hot apparatus
- Handling liquid bromine and preparing bromine water
- Handling, dispensing and transferring liquids (including flammable liquids)
- Heating substances
- Preparing and using cobalt chloride indicator papers
- Preparing and using potassium dichromate(VI) indicator papers
- Preparing solutions and other reagents
- Testing and smelling gases
- Using a Bunsen burner
You can also access information and videos on a number of important standard techniques from the RSC resource ‘Practical Chemistry for Schools and Colleges’.